Distinguished Professor (Director)
Toshio Suda identified the niche for hematopoietic stem cells and subsequently established the new field of oxidative stress and stem cell aging. He is clarifying the interaction of stem cells and niche. These works are supported by the grants from the Ministry of Education in Japan.
- Takubo K, Nagamatsu G, Kobayashi CI, Nakamura-Ishizu A, Kobayashi H, Ikeda E, Goda N, Rahimi Y, Johnson RS, Soga T, Hirao A, Suematsu M, Suda T: Regulation of glycolysis by Pdk functions as a metabolic checkpoint for cell cycle quiescence in hematopoietic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 12: 49-61, 2013
- Suda T, Takubo K, Semenza GL: Metabolic regulation of hematopoietic stem cells in the hypoxic niche. Cell Stem Cell 9: 298-310, 2011
- Takubo K, Goda N, Yamada W, Iriuchishima H, Ikeda E, Kubota Y, Shima H, Johnson RS., Hirao A, Suematsu M, Suda T: Regulation of the HIF-1alpha level is essential for hematopoietic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 7: 391-402, 2010
- Ito K, Hirao A, Arai F, Takubo K, Matsuoka S, Miyamoto K, Ohmura M, Naka K, Hosokawa K, Ikeda Y, Suda T: Reactive oxygen species act through p38 MAPK to limit the lifespan of hematopoietic stem cells. Nat Med 12: 446-451, 2006
- Ito K, Hirao A, Arai F, Matsuoka S, Takubo K, Hamaguchi I, Nomiyama K, Hosokawa K, Sakurada K, Nakagata N, Ikeda Y, Mak TW, Suda T: Regulation of oxidative stress by ATM is required for self-renewal of haematopoietic stem cells. Nature 431: 997-1002, 2004
- Arai F, Hirao A, Ohmura M, Sato H, Matsuoka S, Takubo K, Ito K, Koh GY, Suda T: Tie2/Angiopoietin-1 signaling regulates hematopoietic stem cell quiescence in the bone marrow niche. Cell 118: 149-161, 2004
- Takakura N, Watanabe T, Suenobu S, Yamada Y, Noda T, Ito Y, Satake M, Suda T: A role for hematopoietic stem cells in promoting angiogenesis. Cell 102: 199-209, 2000
- Arai F, Miyamoto T, Ohneda O, Inada T, Sudo T, Brasel K, Miyata T, Anderson DM, Suda T: Commitment and differentiation of osteoclast precursor cells by the sequential expression of c-Fms and receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B (RANK) receptors. J Exp Med 190: 1741-1754, 1999
- Yamaguchi Y, Hayashi Y, Sugama Y, Miura Y, Kasahara T, Kitamura S, Torisu M, Mita S, Tominaga A, Takatsu K, Suda T: Highly purified murine interleukin 5 (IL-5) stimulates eosinophil function and prolongs in vitro survival. IL-5 as an eosinophil chemotactic factor. J Exp Med 167: 1737-1742, 1988
- Suda T, Suda J, Ogawa M: Disparate differentiation in mouse hemopoietic colonies derived from paired progenitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 2520-2524, 1984
||Baelz Prize "Paired daughter cell"
||Baelz Prize "Stem cell niche"
||JSH Award "Hematopoietic Stem Cells"
||The 7th Mystery of Life Award
||The Seoul Archdiocesan Committee for Life
||Metcalf Award "International Society of Experimental Hematology"
Membership and Editorials
- • American Society of Hematology (Blood, Editorial Board)
- • Journal of Experimental Medicine (Editorial Board)
- • International Society of Stem Cell Research (ISSCR)
- • Cell Stem Cell (Advisory Committee)
- • Stem Cells (Editorial Board)
- • International Society for Experimental Hematology, Past President
- • Japanese Society of Hematology (International Journal of Hematology, Past Editor in Chief)